Guidance and Welfare

Chilton Saint James School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website at


  • All family members of the homestay who are over 18 years of age will be Police vetted.
  • The Homestay Manager will make an assessment of the homestay carer’s ability to provide suitable accommodation and appropriate physical and emotional support and guidance.
  • Chilton provides guidelines and support structure for homestay providers through the Homestay Manager.
  • The Homestay Manager stays in regular contact with homestay families as well as visiting each student’s homestay at least twice a year.
  • The Dean of International Students seeks ongoing feedback from students on their homestay situations and liaises with the Homestay Manager over any concerns.

The Homestay Manager for Chilton Saint James School is Amanda Baker. Contact email:

Pastoral Care

Chilton Saint James School has a strong commitment to pastoral care. All international students are supported by their:

  • Form Teacher or Tutor
  • Dean of International Students
  • Year Level Dean
  • Homestay Manager

The Dean of International Students provides encouragement and support for our students from overseas and meets with students regularly. Our StudyCare programme assists students to integrate into the School community and share their experiences of other cultures.

Each student’s academic and personal development is monitored by the International Dean through the Pastoral Care system. Regular reports are sent to parents. Where necessary, these can be translated into the student’s first language.

The Principal, Kathy Lloyd-Parker takes an active interest in the welfare of our students.


Full details of immigration requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, are available from Immigration New Zealand.


Chilton requires all International Students under the age of 18 to have a New Zealand resident guardian. This person will act in the place of the natural parents to oversee the wellbeing of the young person. A list of duties is available.

Some International Students have friends or relatives in New Zealand who are willing to act as guardians. If they do not, Chilton will appoint a suitable guardian. The guardian has the responsibility to make decisions concerning homestays and financial, travel and medical concerns. The School must approve the choice of Guardian, who must reside in the Wellington area. All decisions will be made in consultation with the School and the parents and student.

Complaints procedure

Chilton Saint James School is a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016. For further information visit

In the event of a concern or complaint, you can contact NZQA on 0800 697296 or email for further assistance. If it is a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact iStudent Complaints on 0800 00 66 75. More information is available on Advice can be obtained via phone, email, post and  at and We Chat (search for “NZ iStudent Complaints”).

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health.

 Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students (including group students) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

Chilton recommends students use Unicare as their insurance provider to cover all the emergencies mentioned. The School is able to arrange this insurance for you upon request. If you arrange the insurance yourself, once you are in New Zealand you must provide the School with evidence of the policy you have in place and the type of cover you have arranged. The School will provide you with the insurance application package at your request. All details of your insurance will be kept in your student file at School.

See the Unicare website for more information about their insurance policy for International Students studying in New Zealand.